Monday, November 19, 2007

SNOW

One of the first things I wanted to do after shifting to Bangalore was to join a good library.After searching for a long time , I have joined the easylib in Koramangala.They have an online service and their collection was impressive.

On my first visit there I took "SNOW" by Orhan Pamuk and "The Dante Club" , Matthew Pearl's first novel.I had heard a lot about The Dante Club.So had no hesitation in picking it up when I realized it was available.I have started with SNOW.A lot has been said about Orhan Pamuk. The work that I wanted to start with was "My name is Red" , but unfortunately that was not available.So I decided to go for this.I am not a big fan contemporary english literature and I have always stayed a safe distance away from nobel laureates.My perception was that works by Nobel laureates are for those with a literary bent of mind and not for lesser mortals like me.

On an impulse , I decided to bridge the distance.I have read nearly 150 pages of SNOW.I realized how wrong I was , once I had read the first few pages.Orhan Pamuk has something for everybody.The language is simple yet elegant and the story is something that everybody can relate to. I am not sure if all of Orhan Pamuk's novels are like this .But I want to try a few more of his works as well. I am sure , a lot of people had stayed away from such masterpieces because misconceptions.I can only hope that someday they will realize their mistake and that day will be in the nearest future.

I read the plot of The Dante Club. It reminds me of Da Vinci Code in someways.
Hope it turns out to be a good read.

No comments: